Gems are the premium currency in My Little Pony, these are by far the most difficult to obtain and as a result are the most valuable!
Obtaining gems Edit
Gems can be obtained through:
- Attaining new levels (1-3 , depending on the level)
- Purchase through the in-game store for money
- Received through watching ads in the in-game store or promotion actions from Tapjoy (depends on OS used)
- Received from daily rewards if you play every day (Day 4 rewards 1 , Day 5, 2 )
- Found in non-free Balloon Pop games in small, random amounts.
- Dropped rarely by Derpy (The sooner you find her the better the chance she'll drop a gem)
- Rewarded through some quests (more common in the Canterlot quests)
- Dropped rarely from defeated Parasprite swarms or Changelings.
- Spending 100 Element Shards on an activated Harmony Stone can result in a Gem (1 or 2 for Loyalty, although at a much lower chance)
Gems have a variety of uses including:
- Instantly completing timers for shops, buildings, obstacles, playing with ponies etc.
- Purchasing special characters, decor and buildings (prices vary heavily)
- Skipping certain quests/tasks
- Playing the Balloon Pop game for 10 (also buying additional pops in each version of Balloon Pop).
- Playing the pony minigames with the highest experience modifier (5 )
- Alternative option for buying expansions instead of bits (price increases for each expansion regardless)
Characters and items obtainable via gems:
- Lyra Heartstrings
- Princess Celestia
- Diamond Tiara
- Sweetie Belle
- Filthy Rich
- Soarin/Fleetfoot (alternates)
- Rainbow Dash
- Prince Blueblood
- Silver Spoon
- Princess Luna's Royal Guard
- Princess Cadence
- Shining Armor
- Toy Shop
- Corn Stand
- Unicorn Statue
- Celestia Statue
- Water Tower
- Wonderbolt Statue
- Sun and Moon Statue
- Any pony obtainable only through the Balloon Pop game
- A small quantity of gems can be saved towards the beginning of the game by ignoring Spike's demand to be fed a gem to speed up building times. After the timer completes, this message will go away and you will still have those hard earned gems!
- Do not buy decorations such as water towers, windmill, statues, etc.; the second tier (Hearts ) of the Balloon Pop game will reward them in vast (unusable [there isn't much room or reason to have 10X water towers]) quantities later on in the game.
- Many tasks which require an item to be purchased for gems can instead be skipped for fewer gems than the item(s) would cost. For example, Fancypants costs 50 , but skipping all quest tasks related to him only costs 10 total, and the Wonderbolts Statue costs 350 while skipping related tasks only costs 11 .
- Skipping costs for timers or tasks do not change at all no matter the progress. If you want to pay that cost for something, do it early.
- Changelings provide a nearly consistent chance of receiving Gems when defeated. Thus it is recommended that if possible to create a Gem Farm.
- If you're good at the Equestria Girls mini-game, don't use Gems to buy any of the ponies you can win from it. It will take a while to get them all, but it's cheaper in the long run. Whenever possible, use Bits to buy the non-Gem ponies you can win to better your chances at getting a Gem pony.